Monday, March 28, 2011

Fundraising 101


A while back I mentioned that if money was the deciding factor in whether or not you can come on a World of Difference expedition, that fundraising is always an option. Here is a little 101 on raising money for any cause you care about.

Chances are if you are involved in a non-profit, it represents a cause that you are passionate about. Raising money for that cause is an invitation to your community to share in your passion. The three ideas below have been my most successful methods for raising funds for nonprofits:

Ask for it! Private contributions from individuals represents the largest portion of money given to nonprofit organizations. Seek contributions from everyone you know via mail, phone, web sites, and face-to-face visits. Simply put - just ask for it! Many people are nervous about asking others for money; it’s perfectly natural to be uneasy with it. Once you get into it, you will be surprised how easy and fun it can be. I like to remind myself that I am not asking strangers for money to buy myself something frivolous; rather, I am giving my friends and family an opportunity to be a part of a great cause! World of Difference has put together a fantastic informational sheet that can be found by clicking here (scroll to the bottom and click "Fundraising Packet").

Garage Sale! Kill two birds with one stone by cleaning out the clutter and selling your wares to raise cash for your cause! In the weeks leading up to my garage sales I have sent email blasts to all my local friends and asked if they had any goods they wanted to donate to a good cause. Then I pick it up from them! Don't forget to advertise in your local paper and CraigsList and hang plenty of signs throughout the neighborhood. Be prepared to tell patrons about the organization and perhaps have a donation jar with informational pamphlets.

Bake Sale! Have some fun in the kitchen and bake up some tasty treats for a good cause. You might even combine this with your garage sale. My local farmer's market is also kind enough to allow me a spot free of charge since it is for a good cause. A lot of my friends share my love of baking and are more than willing to donate a pie or two to the cause. I found this great article on how to hold a successful bake sale.

What fun things have YOU done to raise money for organizations? Leave your tips in the comments!

1 comment:

A Serious Girl said...

Dopey, I'd like to volunteer a pie or two for your bake sale, and I'd also like to volunteer my time to assit in your garage sale. Please let me know how I can help. :-D