Friday, July 9, 2010

This Week in Kenya

We at World of Difference love to stay apprised of Kenyan current events. Here are some of the headlines that caught our attention this week.

Last weekend, for the 4th of July, WoD Team Leader JD and I went camping near Yosemite. One night I found myself really needing to use the restroom, but completely terrified of leaving the tent in the dark by myself. I found this incredibly odd as I have never had this fear before. A few days later I came across the following article in the BBC, and I realized that I was given this feeling of fear so I might relate - if even in the slightest way - to the much more valid fear the women in the slums of Nairobi experience on a daily basis.

Fears of Rape in Kenya's Slums 'Trap Women' [BBC News]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this; the article on the "slum dwellers" was incredibly moving and demonstrates the urgent need to assist our misfortuned brothers and sisters of Kenya.